A few days ago, someone I know posted some pretty ridiculous stuff to their wall on Facebook. Lots of people do that, but what I am finding out lately is that Facebook is becoming the Internet soap box for political discourse. Yet, what I am also finding is that the lunatic Glenn Beck/Rush Limbaugh/Fox News fringe who love carrying guns around in public (just in case they need to make sure their double coupons are properly counted at the supermarket, or stop someone from pulling the plug on grandma) somehow manages to shout down intelligent discourse even on there! It’s usually through sneaky ways: a quick blurb on your wall while you’re talking about a new recipe or putting you on a distribution list of one of those myriad “notes” that famously get you drawn in to making up lists like, “25 Things That Annoy Me About You”. Well last week, I received this little tidbit which annoyed me to absolutely no end. It’s not the politics that got me as much as the factual inaccuracy and subcurrent of racism throughout:
Obama’s First Seven Months: Accomplishments
1. Offended the Queen of England.
2. Bowed to the King of Saudi Arabia.
3. Praised the Marxist Daniel Ortega.
4. Kissed Socialist Hugo Chavez on the cheek.
5. Endorsed the Socialist Evo Morales of Bolivia.
6. Sided with Hugo Chavez and Communist Fidel Castro against Honduras.
7. Announced we would meet with Iranians with no pre-conditions while they’re building their nuclear weapons.
8. Gave away billions to AIG also without pre-conditions.
9. Expanded the bailouts.
10. Insulted everyone who has ever loved a Special Olympian.
11. Doubled our national debt.
12. Announced the termination of our new missile defense system the day after North Korea launched an ICBM.
13. Released information on U.S. Intelligence gathering despite urgings of his own CIA director and the prior four CIA directors.
14. Accepted without comment that five of his cabinet members cheated on their taxes and two other nominees withdrew after they couldn’t take the heat.
15. Appointed a Homeland Security Chief who identified military veterans and abortion opponents as “dangers to the nation.”
16. Ordered that the word “terrorism” no longer be used and instead refers to such acts as “man made disasters.”
17. Circled the globe to publicly apologize for America’s world leadership.
18. Told the Mexican president that the violence in their country was because of us.
19. Politicized the census by moving it into the White House from the Department of Commerce.
20. Appointed as Attorney General the man who orchestrated the forced removal and expulsion to Cuba of a 9-year-old whose mother died trying to bring him to freedom in the United States.
21. Salutes as heroes three Navy SEALS who took down three terrorists who threatened one American life and the next day announces members of the Bush administration may stand trial for “torturing” three 9/11 terrorists by pouring water up their noses.
22. Low altitude photo shoot of Air Force One over New York City that frightened thousands of New Yorkers.
23. Sent his National Defense Adviser to Europe to assure them that the US will no longer treat Israel in a special manner and that Israel might be on their own with the Muslims.
24. Praised Jimmy Carter’s trip to Gaza where he sided with terrorist Hamas against Israel.
25. Nationalized General Motors and Chrysler while turning shareholder control over to the unions and freezing out retired investors who owned their bonds. Committed unlimited taxpayer billions in the process.
26. Passed a huge energy tax in the House that will make American industry even less competitive while costing homeowners thousands per year.
27. Announced nationalized health care “reform” that will strip seniors of their Medicare, cut pay of physicians, increase taxes yet another $1 trillion, and put everyone on rationed care with government bureaucrats deciding who gets care and who doesn’t. Bloomberg reports: Daschle says, “Health care reform will not be pain free. Seniors should be more accepting of the conditions that come with age instead of treating them,” while former Colorado Governor Dick Lamm says seniors have “a duty to die.”
OK, I think you get the point that by this time I was beside myself…so I did the only thing I could do. I wrote an e-mail. I decided not to send this off like I wanted to, but since I know this individual reads this blog, I’ll just let my prose take care of everything here:
Rather than post this and get into a long and probably nasty exchange over the Internet in a public forum, I decided to do this privately and correct you on many of your perceived misconceptions of the first 7 months of this Administration.
Has it been perfect? No. Am I happy with everything he’s done? Certainly not; in fact, as a bleeding heart liberal I don’t think he’s done enough and has sold the Left wing of his Party out to many of the Special Interests that dominate Washington politics. I think he is too eager to please Republicans when it is clear they do not want to negotiate in good faith; I think he should just ram through legislation, just like the Republicans did when THEY had control of Congress. Everyone seems to forget that was the way things were run. Then again, Republicans can’t stand the fact that they LOST the last election and are so hell bent on destroying the Democrats that they don’t give a damn about the country.
Take a good look at just who is destroying America: a bunch of rich white men, corporations, and ignorant white Southern men who burn crosses on front lawns in their spare time. You and the rest of the middle class who actually believe the trash and nonsense that comes out of Rush Limbaugh, Hannity, O’Reilly, Glenn Beck and Fox News and every conspiracy site on the Internet are being manipulated. You THINK you are saving the country…you are in fact trying to defeat programs that are designed to HELP you. You are instead maintaining the status quo of keeping the same rich white men and corporations in power.
Oh, and another thing: you guys can’t stand the fact that a black man is in the White House.
Maybe not you personally, but a hell of a lot of your fellow Right Wing Americans do. Just look at the signs that LITERALLY wish DEATH on this man…is THAT America? Is THAT the way we as Americans are supposed to have a dialog and constructively work together to protect this democracy? More importantly, is that the way we act as human beings? When was the last time you saw a gun brought to an anti-Bush, Reagan, or Nixon rally? NEVER. Either because they would be arrested for violating SOMETHING (other than a gun law which allows you to carry openly in certain states) or because they would exercise the common sense notion that bringing a gun into a large crowd of people is DANGEROUS. And disrespectful to the President.
When was the last time you heard a member of Congress interrupt a speech by the President during a Joint Session of Congress? NEVER. It is against EVERYTHING we believe in, because we as Americans have a civil dialog (unlike the British who allow such outbursts. They have their place, and I must admit I find Parliament amusing, but you better not damned well interrupt the Queen). What that Congressman did was unforgivable; I would still say this if someone did that do former President GW Bush…and believe me, I’m sure there were plenty of folks in that chamber that wanted to do the same thing…we just don’t do that. Add to the mix that the man is from South Carolina (first State to secede from the Union), is a member of the Sons Of The Confederacy, and as a State Legislator worked to keep the Confederate Flag on the SC State Flag. (I find the Confederate Flag as offensive as the Nazi flag because it represents treason to this nation. It represents a lifestyle that was abhorrent. Moreover, it is the flag of a vanquished ENEMY. Do you see anyone flying Nazi flags so openly?)
And this is only the tip of the iceberg of what is wrong now; the way we are disagreeing with one another. It is one thing to disagree with policy and concepts, it is another thing to call the man a Nazi and a Socialist…which is ironic because they’re on opposite sides of the political spectrum. (I hope you guys just pick one already). It is another thing to wish death on this man…and bring signs that say the same to a rally all while wearing a GUN. (Look, I support the Second Amendment. I am all for gun ownership; and although I choose not to own one, I will not impede your right to obtain one). When I saw a sign at the DC rally last week (where the crowd was officially placed at 75,000; not 7.5 million or whatever Glenn Beck said it was. Another thing…where was HE on 9/12 for the 9/12 project? Afraid some Left winger with a gun and a sign might actually go after him?) that read “We didn’t bring our guns (this time)”, I was mortified. THAT was a DIRECT THREAT to the President of The United States…and this is OK? The fact that people are openly advocating the overthrow of the legitimately elected government of the United States is FRIGHTENING.
Speaker Pelosi (no stranger to violence and political assassinations having witnessed the terrible tragedy of the death of a Mayor and a Supervisor in San Francisco in the 70s) needs to be taken seriously in her warnings against violence. God forbid the unthinkable happens, you will have chaos and pandemonium the likes this country has never seen. You will have panic and race riots. You will have Martial Law and suspension of the Constitution to prevent a revolution…and then you may very well have violent revolution.
And that will only lead to the curb of freedom even more, because the “winners” of that revolution will be an extremist regime that will make the Nazis look like amateurs.
And We The People…shall be but a distant memory.
Here’s what’s right and wrong about your “accomplishments”:
Obama’s First Seven Months: Accomplishments
- Offended the Queen of England.
It was his wife who accidentally grabbed the Queen’s royal posterior, not he. And for the record, just WHICH country did we have a revolution against, and why are you concerned with having offended a direct descendant of King George III?
- Bowed to the King of Saudi Arabia.
Observing a customary greeting for the King of Saudi Arabia is offensive? And you were concerned about Queen Elizabeth’s ass?
- Praised the Marxist Daniel Ortega.
He’s done a hell of a lot more for the people of Nicaragua than any right-wing regime ever did. Perhaps that is why he was ELECTED TWICE by the people in free and fair elections, because you see…Nicaragua is a democracy. Oh, and he was also voted out of office twice as well.
- Kissed Socialist Hugo Chavez on the cheek.
Again, a customary greeting…and we’re still with the nice international protocol violations, huh? Too bad you guys weren’t concerned with niceties demonstrated during the 9/12 March of the Wooden Soldiers.
- Endorsed the Socialist Evo Morales of Bolivia.
He did not endorse ANYONE. The President does not openly endorse any candidate in a foreign election. Get your facts straight.
- Sided with Hugo Chavez and Communist Fidel Castro against Honduras.
Well, perhaps the right-wing junta that overthrew the legitimately elected government of Honduras didn’t exactly thrill him or the rest of the other nations who signed a United Nations statement condemning the action. You know, guys like Germany and England and Australia…our allies.
- Announced we would meet with Iranians with no pre-conditions while they’re building their nuclear weapons.
The UN Inspector who was sent to Iran confirms they are NOT building weapons…however, it does not mean they don’t have a hidden bunker somewhere where they are. Since you don’t know and don’t have proof, and you want to prevent this from happening anyway, YOU TALK. Oh, and what the hell are we SUPPOSED to say, “We’ll only talk with you if you don’t stop building the weapons you’re not building”? If you want to obtain your goal, you TALK. Or would you prefer that we bomb their nuclear facilities off the planet, thus sending harmful radiation and fallout into the atmosphere where it will contaminate the food chain, and perhaps kill your own children eventually…as well as the hundreds of thousands such a strike would cause the Iranians. Or are they not worth being Human Beings because they are Muslim and they deserve to die anyway?
- Gave away billions to AIG also without pre-conditions.
That my dear, was George Walker Bush and Hank Paulsen the previous President and Secretary of the Treasury who gave a final parting gift to their rich supporters, not President Obama
- Expanded the bailouts.
The additional Bank funding was authorized by the PREVIOUS Congress (at the pleading of Bush and Paulsen) in increments. If you recall, there were hearings early in the year that made sure they needed the additional funding…hearings authorized by THIS President.
- Insulted everyone who has ever loved a Special Olympian.
OK, the guy did a bad thing here; I agree. He apologized. Like you never insulted me at one time and didn’t realize it until the words came out of your mouth? Please…
- Doubled our national debt.
No, that would be President Bush who did that…you know, the Conservative who believes in fiscal responsibility…the guy who loved tax cuts so much he forgot how to pay for a war that he started, and Medicare Part D just for starters. Oh yeah, he was left with a SURPLUS by President Clinton; he left Obama a few trillion in the hole.
- Announced the termination of our new missile defense system the day after North Korea launched an ICBM.
A 5 BILLION DOLLAR missile system for 10 missiles in EUROPE…one that is based on technology that has not been perfected yet…in favor of one costing half as much that would deploy missiles on ships in the area of Iran as opposed to putting them in Poland where the Russians would feel a bit threatened. You know, like we did in 1962 when they tried to put missiles in Cuba. I don’t know about you, but I’m not ready for my gamma ray bath and incineration just yet. Oh, Korea is a separate issue and is in no way linked to this action.
- Released information on U.S. Intelligence gathering despite urgings of his own CIA director and the prior four CIA directors.
Just like Valerie Plame was outed by Scooter Libby as a CIA Agent in violation of Federal Law, or was this a legitimate and legal decision by the President of The United States as Commander In Chief?
- Accepted without comment that five of his cabinet members cheated on their taxes and two other nominees withdrew after they couldn’t take the heat.
OK…bad decisions, and bad vetting process. I agree with you here.
- Appointed a Homeland Security Chief who identified military veterans and abortion opponents as “dangers to the nation.”
I’d be interested in seeing where the comment was taken from and the complete context of it. You guys are famous for taking things out of context. Another thing, it’s at least less harmful than appointing a man whose only experience in life was raising Arabian Horses as head of FEMA. His bungling cost thousands of people their homes and hundreds are dead because of “Heck of a Job Brownie” in New Orleans after Katrina. I’d rather have the bad words said…at least they didn’t kill anyone.
- Ordered that the word “terrorism” no longer be used and instead refers to such acts as “man made disasters.”
HUH? Last time I heard, he uses the word “terrorism” whenever applicable. Is he not using it ENOUGH for you guys? I mean, to me, wearing a gun to a Presidential Rally holding a threatening sign is terrorism. Killing a man because he performs late term abortions is terrorism. Should he have used the word then? I think so.
- Circled the globe to publicly apologize for America’s world leadership.
More like made overtures to the world that we were willing to talk and protect our freedom and anyone else’s…but not at the point of a gun or bomb them out of existence.
- Told the Mexican president that the violence in their country was because of us.
Again, CONTEXT. This was a statement that since we are the PRIMARY CONSUMERS of MEXICAN DRUGS, INDIRECTLY we are responsible for some of the violence. Just like if you buy cigarettes on the Internet (which I don’t do) the money may support terrorism. It’s a fact.
- Politicized the census by moving it into the White House from the Department of Commerce.
And the price of tea in China is…? Whatever Administration is in charge politicizes the Census; Bush did it…it’s all a fact of life. Deal with it, you’ll sleep better in the morning.
- Appointed as Attorney General the man who orchestrated the forced removal and expulsion to Cuba of a 9-year-old whose mother died trying to bring him to freedom in the United States.
I despised what Janet Reno authorized be done in that incident. He was only carrying out the orders of his superiors…you know, the same way CIA operatives were when they tortured people.
- Salutes as heroes three Navy SEALS who took down three terrorists who threatened one American life and the next day announces members of the Bush administration may stand trial for “torturing” three 9/11 terrorists by pouring water up their noses.
Waterboarding is TORTURE, not just pouring water up their noses. We tortured people in direct violation of the Geneva Conventions that we pledged to uphold as part of International Law. We went rogue, and in the process lost our soul as a nation and in my opinion, anyone who authorized, ordered, and carried out waterboarding or any other technique classified as torture should be prosecuted as a war criminal, as provided for in the Geneva Conventions. Oh, and he was absolutely right to salute those Navy SEALS.
- Low altitude photo shoot of Air Force One over New York City that frightened thousands of New Yorkers.
HUGE MISTAKE…I was mortified and offended. And so was he; that’s why the idiot who authorized it is now on Uncle Sammy’s bread lines.
- Sent his National Defense Adviser to Europe to assure them that the US will no longer treat Israel in a special manner and that Israel might be on their own with the Muslims.
And Israel should be treated as “special” because…? They’re Jewish and make good brisket over there? Or because the Zionists seek to obtain solely for themselves a piece of land “given” to them by a non-corporeal entity whose existence cannot be proved? I’ll tell you what, God told me I can have your house. I’ll be over tomorrow and kick you and the boys out and let you fend for yourselves across the street or endlessly roam the streets of Rosebank. THAT’s what the Jews have done to the Palestinians…and they are systematically KILLING them, simply because they are a different faith. Just in case you haven’t realized it yet, you are NOTHING to the Zionists either because you are Catholic and not Jewish. The Jewish State (according to the Zionists) is supposed to remain PURE. You want to talk about Nazis? Look no father than the end of Bibi’s nose. They have The Bomb, have tons of money donated to them by the Jewish population over here (duped into believing that all of the Jewish People are at risk of annihilation from everyone)…let them fend for themselves. By the way, there is a VAST difference between a Jew and a Zionist. It’s like the difference between being German or a Nazi. I know Jews who HATE the Zionists with a passion and want nothing more than to live in peace with the Palestinians.
- Praised Jimmy Carter’s trip to Gaza where he sided with terrorist Hamas against Israel.
And he SHOULD have praised his trip because it was humanitarian…they were being SLAUGHTERED for DAYS by Israel. Or are they worthless because they are Muslim? And if you were getting slaughtered, wouldn’t you try and fight back? One man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom fighter…just ask George Washington.
- Nationalized General Motors and Chrysler while turning shareholder control over to the unions and freezing out retired investors who owned their bonds. Committed unlimited taxpayer billions in the process.
Congratulations, you own a car company! Why? Because if they went under the entire economy could have collapsed; thousands of manufacturing jobs (auto workers, the guys who make the parts, Dealerships) would have been lost. Yes, there were job losses, but nowhere near as bad as if there was no bail out. And all of this came about because GM and the other guys ran THEIR companies into the ground by making poor business decisions. The shareholders of GM and Chrysler are also responsible because they didn’t throw the bastards out of the Board Room.
- Passed a huge energy tax in the House that will make American industry even less competitive while costing homeowners thousands per year.
I have NO clue what you’re talking about here…evidence please?
- Announced nationalized health care “reform” that will strip seniors of their Medicare, cut pay of physicians, increase taxes yet another $1 trillion, and put everyone on rationed care with government bureaucrats deciding who gets care and who doesn’t. Bloomberg reports: Daschle says, “Health care reform will not be pain free. Seniors should be more accepting of the conditions that come with age instead of treating them,” while former Colorado Governor Dick Lamm says seniors have “a duty to die.”
Medicare will NOT be touched; Seniors will NOT have their benefits stripped. Medicare is about as sacred as the Pope to these politicians and to the American People…it ain’t going nowhere…or granny will get her gun. The cost of the Health Insurance Reform program approaches $1 trillion (it’s estimated at $856 billion) OVER 10 YEARS. It’s COST not TAX…a VAST difference. No one will be deciding who gets what and when granny gets the plug pulled. You think this would have died already…you guys just love keeping up the lies, don’t you. FALSE, FALSE, FALSE.
Hopefully, I’ve enlightened you to the Liberal view of things…and all this was done without a nasty sign or at the point of a gun. You know, through intelligent discourse, like it’s supposed to be…not mob rule.
As you can imagine, that took quite a while to write, and with each word that came off the keyboard, I just got angrier and angrier. I am realizing that once again, the Right is using the politics of Fear and Division in order to attempt to regain power, through any means possible. And the way you hear it from some people, through revolution if need be. This is not the way we do things in this country. We are the envy of the world every four or eight years as we have a peaceful transition of power from one Administration to another. In many parts of the world, this happens at the point of a gun or not at all. Just because you are not happy with the results of the last election does not give you the right to overthrow the government. Trust me, if my liberties were being taken away or my rights under the Constitution were declared null and void, I’d be out there fighting with all I had. This Administration hasn’t done a damned thing for anyone to be concerned about. If anything, I think they need to put their foot down more and push through their agenda as much as possible given the sizable numbers of Democrats in Congress. I think that The President is on the verge of waking up and taking the reins from some of his advisers who are doing an awful job (Rahm Emmanuel, anyone?) and is going to start playing some hardball. Hopefully, the Democrats won’t follow with their usual habit of forming a circular firing squad.
The way you hear it from the Right Wingnuts, you’d think that we’re on the verge of Nuremberg rallies, bund meetings, and goose-stepping in the streets. Oh wait! That was the Bush Administration!
“Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we’re being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I’m liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That’s what’s insane about it.” – John Lennon